The town was founded in 1569 by the great Mughal emperor Akbar. In that year Akbar had visited the Muslim hermit Chishti, who was residing in the village of Sikri. Chishti correctly foretold that Akbar’s wish for an heir would be gratified with the birth of a son; the child, Sal?m, was born in Sikri that same year, and he would later rule as the emperor Jah?ng?r. The grateful Akbar decided that the site of Sikri was auspicious and made it his capital. He personally directed the building of the J?mi? Masjid (Great Mosque; 1571), which stretches some 540 feet (165 metres) in length and contains an ornate tomb for Chishti. The mosque’s southern entrance, the colossal gateway Buland Darwaza (Victory Gate; 1575), is one of India’s greatest architectural works. The monumental gateway is constructed out of red sandstone and is attractively carved.