Mathura Goverment Museum
The Government Museum, Mathura originally founded by F.S. Grouse in 1874, is today one of the leading centers for research, study and the preservation of Mathura’s splendid heritage of art. The museum housed in a fine octagonal, red sandstone building, located at Dampier Park, has a finest collection of sculptures belonging to the Maurya, Sunga, Kushana and the Gupta periods. Its collection of Kushana art is considered to be the finest in the world.
The Museum has also fine collections of stone sculpture and terracotta, gold, silver and copper coins, clay seals, ancient pottery, paintings and bronzes.